Fresno Criminal Defense : What Is a Plea Deal?
Oct 18, 2018
If you end up in legal trouble, you should meet with an experienced criminal defense lawyer. He or she will discuss your case and your defense. Your lawyer may also bring up a plea bargain or deal. Though you may have heard about them, you might not really know or understand what they are.
So what is a plea bargain or deal?
· A plea bargain is an agreement that you sign, admitting guilt to a crime. A crime usually less than the one that you were arrested for.
· You may do it to avoid jail, or at least get less time.
Many people wonder why you would sign a piece of paper admitting that you committed a crime. However, the truth is that many crimes end with plea bargains and deals.
Here are some reasons why you would want to take a plea bargain or deal?
· It can be expensive to hire a lawyer and spend weeks or even months fighting your case. A plea bargain could save you a lot of money.
· It can also save you a lot of time. Instead of spending all of that time in court, you are going to be able to accept your deal, do your time, and move on with your life.
· Going to trial can be risky. You don't know if you are going to win or lose. A plea deal is the only way that you know how everything is going to end.
· One of the most common reasons to accept a plea deal is because you know that there is no way you are going to win in court. If you are fighting a losing battle, you may decide not to fight.
While you may not want to admit to anything, a plea deal might be the best way to get on with your life. You often are able to admit to a crime of a lesser degree, getting less punishment than if you tried to fight it.
Contact us for all of your legal needs. We will be glad to help you through this difficult time.
Michael Mitchell is a Fresno attorney who practices in the areas of DUI, personal injury & criminal law. Visit his Google+ profile.