Five Ways an Attorney Can Help Your DUI Case
Aug 09, 2018
Getting a DUI is undoubtedly an incredibly stressful and life-altering event. While there is no shortage of legal advice and anecdotes going around regarding drunk driving cases, one thing is for sure: hiring an attorney is essential in order to come out with the best possible results. Here are five ways that an attorney can help your case, particularly in Fresno, CA.
1. Avoiding Jail Time - Although jail time is rare for first offenders, the possibility of 48 hours to six months in jail remains (second- and third- time offenders may face more). An attorney can significantly increase your chances of being sentenced to probation instead or get you a shorter sentence if jail is unavoidable.
2. Limiting Community Service - If the judge does impose an an alternative to jail time, either hours of work to be performed through the county work program or community service, a knowledgeable and locally experienced DUI attorney should be able to shave time off the hours you are required to do. This can be accomplished by showing the client's efforts towards rehabilitation, such as attending AA or NA meetings, an outpatient program or a substance abuse program through their local church. A decent attorney, will have an in depth knowledge of the facts of the case and their client's background to also help limit community service time. If an attorney can save you a 5 to 10, 8 hour days picking up trash, it may be worth your while to hire him or her.
3. Electronic Monitor- Another option may be doing house arrest through a program like Scram X, whereby you where an alcohol sensing monitor and agree to stay home when not at work. This can be an option where the judge orders significant jail or community service for a first, second, third offense DUI or even a Felony DUI.
4. Negotiating your Charge - In some cases, an attorney can help to negotiate a lesser charge than the full-blown DUI. For instance, a first-time offender with a low BAC may be eligible to have his or her charge reduced to a Wet Reckless Driving (VC 23103 pursuant to 23103.5. An attorney may also be able to have lesser charges in the case dropped, such as a hit and run or a high blood alcohol enhancement. Of course, there is no guarantee of an outcome with less than the full extent of the charges, but hiring an attorney with DUI expertise allows you the best chance of the lowest possible conviction for your permanent record.
5. Reducing your Fines - Local attorney may know of programs that you can attend to have your fine reduced. For instance, in Fresno, California we have a program called Decisions for Life that is available to some offenders to get their fine reduced by 1/2 on either a DUI, wet reckless, or dry reckless driving charge.
Navigating the court system alone during a DUI charge is daunting and not in your best interest. If you have been charged with drinking and driving, the Mitchell Law Group is highly capable of helping you obtain the best possible outcome. It may feel like the end of the world, but moving forward is much easier with the help of a skilled attorney. Contact us today.
Michael Mitchell is a Fresno attorney who practices in the areas of DUI, personal injury & criminal law. Visit his Google+ profile.