Types of Domestic Violence
Sep 30, 2015
Domestic violence is a rising issue in our country today. What is domestic violence? According to the National Domestic Violence Hotline, "Domestic violence is a repetitive pattern of behaviors to maintain power and control over an intimate partner."
There are 5 main ways abuse occurs. These are:
- Physical: Does not necessarily mean punching, hitting, or slapping to call it "physical abuse." Anything an abuser does that makes the victim fear for their safety and/or the safety of their children. Examples of physical abuse where there isn't physical contact are: locking victim out of the house, throwing objects or punching holes in the wall.
- Emotional/Psychological: Verbal abuse is included in this category as well. The abuser uses words intending to demean the other person such as, calling the victim names, being completely negative about the partner, using abusive language, constantly putting the partner down etc. This type of abuse erodes at a person's self-esteem and self-worth.
- Sexual: This could be anything from making demeaning remarks about the other person's body, forced sex acts or coercion, crossing partners sexual boundaries, or even forcing the other person to have sex with someone else.
- Financial: The misuse of monetary funds without the other person's consent. Things such as, hiding money, running up credit cards, demanding partner sign over paychecks, or even demanding an account of all money spent are all types of financial abuse.
- Identity: This one overlaps with other types of abuse, particularly emotional and uses others to ruin the person such as, outing them to a boss, family, or co-workers, telling the partner they will never have it as good because they are ugly or some other demeaning comment regarding their appearance.
As one of the preeminent Domestic Violence Lawyers in Fresno, our staff is here to defend your domestic violence related offense. Please contact us if you would like to know more about how we can help you.
Tags: Domestic Violence, Fresno Domestic Violence, Fresno Domestic Violence Attorney, Fresno Defense Attorney
Category: Domestic Violence
Michael Mitchell is a Fresno attorney who practices in the areas of DUI, personal injury & criminal law. Visit his Google+ profile.