Fresno Criminal Lawyer Discusses Possibility of Removal from State Sex Offender List
Mar 04, 2015
There are few issues that stir the passion in people as much as sex crimes and the requirement to register as a sex offender in California. That is true no matter which side of the law you are on. Victims want justice, while those who have served their time desire to move forward with their lives. There are even some people who have been unjustly required to include their name and address on California's Sex Offender Registration List.
If you are a former offender or someone who never should have registered in the first place, it's possible to get your name removed under very specific circumstances. The first thing you need to do is meet with a qualified and experienced criminal lawyer to discuss the specifics of your case.
Possible Ways to Remove Yourself from the Sex Offender Registry
California law requires that you meet one of the following three circumstances to be considered for removal from the sex offender list:
- -You have cause to file a Petition for a Writ of Mandate
- -You have received a Certificate of Rehabilitation and Governor's Pardon
- -You have received the Traditional California Governor's Pardon
Whether you are eligible for any of these depends on a variety of factors, including:
- -The age of your conviction and whether you have other convictions
- -Guarantee that you have not re-offended since the original conviction
- -Which Penal Code you were convicted under
- -Your present city of residence and your address history
- -Your military service record, including whether you are currently in the military
- -If a California court judge designated the sexual crime as a misdemeanor or a felony
It is Often Complicated
The laws governing if and how you are eligible to de-list yourself from the state sex registry are numerous and complex. That is why you need to work with an attorney from Mitchell Law Group who has several years of experience in this area. Please contact us to discuss the specifics of your situation.
Michael Mitchell is a Fresno attorney who practices in the areas of DUI, personal injury & criminal law. Visit his Google+ profile.